The Importance of Fat Transfers
What is fat transfer and how did it originate?
Fat transfer is a process whereby one uses unnecessary fat in a part of the body to fill up other parts of the body that has certain irregularities and grooves. It is a common procedure that is done all over the world by both males and females. The fat transfer went a long way and it was perfected around the nineties. The Fat transfer was around 1983 when Gustav Neuber who was a German plastic surgeon was able to transfer fat from the arm of an individual to the orbital eye region to make corrections the individual’s scars that were made from Osteomyelitis. Fat transfer can also be known as fat grafting and fat injections.
When a fat transfer procedure is to take place, the needed fat is taken from a restricted liposculpture done through one or different three to five incisions. The needed fat is mostly gotten from the stomach or the inner thigh. The extracted fat goes through rinsing, centrifuging, or filtering. After undergoing that process, a liquid fatty tissue is ready to be injected. The fat extracted can now be injected into the place it’s needed. The process of injection is done in small amounts into the tissue so the fat can be surrounded with healthy tissues. This minute injection gives the transferred fat time to mix with tissues that provide it with oxygen and nutrients.
There are several ways to make use of the transfer of fat and new ways are being discovered every single day. A lot of scars have been known to respond to fat transfer with the improvement of their hardness, contour, color, and texture after the transfer of fat. Fat transfer is also known to give treatment to painful neuromas (the nerves that have been abnormally scarred) that often come about in areas of the body that underwent traumas or surgeries. Fat transfers can also be used where past surgeries caused great volume loss. The fat can be used to fill up those areas and enhance the contour deformities.
There are several ways by which fat transfer can be used and are done by people all over the world. Some of these ways are:
Ways by which fat transfers can be used
- Facial rejuvenation
- Buttock fat transfer/ augmentation
- Hand rejuvenation
- Poor burns or scars
- Change of skin or radiation therapy
Why do people involve in a fat transfer?
Fat transfer can be done for various reasons by different individuals. A lot of individuals go through fat transfer surgeries because of the past surgeries they had been involved in which caused that is volume loss. Some also involve in these fat transfer surgeries because they are not satisfied with the way a part of their body looks. They either want to remove the fat from there and place it somewhere else or remove the fat and take it out completely. People have different reasons why they undergo a fat transfer. Fat transfer can be used for healing in the sense that the fat in our body has some significant number of cells which are the largest out any other tissue in the body. These cells can be compared to the ones found in the bone marrow but these ones are easy and less painful to extract. The way fat transfer assists to heal is still really uncertain. It has been proposed by researchers that the healing process of a fat transfer is related to mesenchymal stem cells that can be found in fat tissues. These cells are known to be able to produce multiple kinds of cells in the skeletal tissue.
There are different types of fat transfer such as the BrazilianButt lift.
Brazilian Butt lift
This is a very common cosmetic process that has to do with the transferring of fat to assist in creating more fullness around the backside.
The process of a Brazilian Butt
A Brazilian Butt is a form of fat transfer that is commendable for its great results of looking very natural.
People qualified and fit enough for Brazilian Butt surgery:
- Those who have lost their natural butt shape due to age and several weight changes
- If you are a nonsmoker
- Those who have a healthy lifestyle alongside side doing exercises regularly
- Those who have enough fat stored in other areas of their bodies such as their hips and abdomen.
- Those who are free from any kind of infection and don’t have any complications in relation to surgery.
- It is also for those who have maintained a very healthy weight without any fluctuations.
- Those who feel less comfortable in their clothes.
The procedures for getting this fat transfer are done with the following guidelines:
- When it wants to be performed, it is usually done under anesthesia. When it comes to smaller fat transfer procedures, the local anesthesia is made use of. In some cases, you might be asked to use anti-nausea medication before the surgery just in case the anesthesia makes you feel sick.
- The surgeon makes use of liposuction to extract the fat from other parts of your body such as your hips, thighs, or stomach. The process of liposuction is the making of incisions on the skin and extracting the file through a tube.
- The fats that have been extracted from your body are then cleaned properly and are now ready to be injected into your buttocks
- The surgery is rounded off with the surgeon injecting the purified fat into the specified parts of the buttocks to give them a more rounded and fuller look. About 3-5 incisions are made on the buttock to be able to make the fat transfer.
- At the end of the whole surgery, the liposuction and the incision are closed firmly with the aid of stitches. A compression garnet is added to these stitches to prevent others from bleeding out.
What are the benefits of having a Brazilian Butt loft surgery?
- A Brazilian Butt lift surgery is known for giving a more natural look and giving your backside more of roundness unlike some other kinds of butt surgery such as the placing of silicone implants. This Brazilian Butt surgery is known to help with various issues involved with the backside such as a shapeless Butt which mostly comes with age and sagging of the butt. Most individuals consider doing Butt surgery because of the imbalance of their figures which makes it really difficult to have a comfortable fitting in clothes.
- One other benefit of the Brazilian Butt surgery is the low risk of getting an infection, unlike the silicon Butt implants. The BrazilianButt surgery is safer than other forms of Butt surgeries available and better than other substances such as sealants and silicone caulking which are known to be performed by individuals who are far from qualified to do the job.
Despite the Brazilian Butt surgery being all rosy, it also has its own share of side effects.
The side effects of a Brazilian Butt lift fat transfer
Even though the Brazilian Butt lift surgery is able to prevent some risks unlike the others such as the silicon Butt implants, it still has some side effects just as any surgery would have. Some of these side effects turn out to be very serious. These side effects are:
- The risk of having an infection
- Losing skin in areas that have been treated due to a serious infection
- Several lumps on the skin of the area injected or cut
- Embolism of fat around the lungs or heart which can be very dangerous.
One other side effect is when your buttock refuses to take the fat that has been injected into the buttocks. A part of the injected fat is detached and is being absorbed by the body. In cases like this, you might have to go through another surgery once or twice. To reduce this risk, extra fat is added when you undergo the procedure for the first time.
Advantages of getting a fat transfer
There are so many benefits one can get when they undergo a fat transfer surgery; especially for individuals who are trying to correct errors that had happened during a previous surgery.
Here are some advantages of getting a fat transfer:
- It makes one look younger than their age. This is very common with those who have facial areas that make them look older than their age such as sunken and wrinkled cheeks, under of the eye, and their lips. Fat is transferred there to make them look fuller and leaves them looking younger.
- It replaces implants. It is good for those who went through liposuction. The fat transfer can be used to make their body parts look fuller rather than getting an implant. This is especially for the butt transfer.
- It helps to reduce the appearance of scarring. Fat transfer can be done to help reduce the ugly look a very severe scar has.
- It can help with aging hands. When people age, their skin becomes old and wrinkly and very prominent to see. Fat can be transferred to the wrinkled parts of the hand to enhance it and reduce the wrinkled lines.
- It is good for those who have gone through a dermal filler and they are looking for an alternative. The fat transfer can give them more permanent results.
- With a fat transfer, you don’t have to worry about your silicon breasts or buttocks shifting positions. In the fat transfer process, silicons are not made use of; only fat is used which would be extracted from other parts of your body such as your abdomen, thighs, or hips.
- It is safer than going through implant surgery. The fat is being obtained from your body so the risk of having reactions or allergies is not likely to occur which makes it one of the safest surgeries. It is preferable to go through a fat transfer than implant surgery. This is especially for those who want to have a breast augmentation or a rounder backside. This is the best option.
The disadvantages of getting a fat transfer
In all cases, every advantage will surely have a disadvantage. There’s always a “but” waiting to spring up. Here are the disadvantages of a fat transfer:
- Great reactions to the local anesthesia used before the surgery. A lot of individuals are likely to have certain reactions to the anesthesia given to them before the surgery so they are advised to take medication that would prevent them from reacting and getting sick due to the anesthesia.
- The risk of getting an infection. If the process of a fat transfer isn’t properly done especially the purification of the fat extracted from other body parts, it’s is most likely to cause an infection that could be very deadly.
- After the surgery, it is very possible for blood to accumulate under the skin of the person who donated fat or the area the fat was transferred to which could make that area dark or purple.
- There can be damage to some important tissues and structures in the body. If the transferor the extraction isn’t properly done, a vital tissue is likely to get damaged and the body structure can also be deformed.
- The transfer area could go numb and a scar could occur. If the transfer area isn’t properly stitched up it could lead to a scar.
What are the costs of undergoing a fat transfer?
A fat transfer is a very vital surgery which means it could go right and it could go wrong. The cost of getting one is definitely going to be on the high side which is worth it because you get to have the look that you deserve. In areas such as the United Kingdom, a fat transfer is likely to come in the range of £2000 and £6500 depending on how the area you want to be treated. Asides that you might have additional costs such as the aftercare, further treatments you might need, and consultation fees. In other areas such as the United States, the fat transfer could be as low as $3000 to $5000 and it could also be as high as $5000 to $11000. These prices are varying a lot because it involves two major procedures that would be done which are the liposuction and the fat transfer procedure. For example, the average cost for a Brazilian Butt lift is $4,571. These prices are usually based on the fees of the surgeon and you might still have to consider some other fees like the hospital stays and the anesthesia.
Is a fat transfer safe to do?
A fat transfer is one of the safest surgeries to do. It is safer than undergoing silicone implants in your body. A fat transfer is just the extraction of fat through incisions from a part of your body filled with enough fat to be transferred to the part of your body that extra fat is needed. It is unlikely to get allergies or reactions from a fat transfer because the fat is taken from your own body. To be safe, avoid doing this with unqualified individuals and go to a proper hospital that knows the proper procedure to avoid any complications.
A fat transfer comes with different benefits for people who would like to correct their body parts and also those who are stinging quickly and would love to look young again. There are several ways to make use of the transfer of fat and new ways are being discovered every single day. A lot of scars have been known to respond to fat transfer with the improvement of their hardness, contour, color, and texture after the transfer of fat. Fat transfer is also known to give treatment to painful neuromas (the nerves that have been abnormally scarred) that often come about in areas of the body that underwent traumas or surgeries. It makes one look younger than their age. This is very common with those who have facial areas that make them look older than their age such as sunken and wrinkled cheeks, under of the eye, and their lips. Fat is transferred there to make them look fuller and leaves them looking younger. As good as surgery can go, it can also go bad. Everything good has a disadvantage. If this procedure isn’t done properly it could lead to blood accumulation under the skin of the person who donated fat or the area the fat was transferred to which could make that area dark or purple. It is very advisable to go to a proper hospital which is qualified to perform proper surgery on you to avoid any complication risks. A fat transfer is also very price ranging from $3000-$11000. This depends on the weight of the transfer you want to do. This price should not discourage you from getting that body that you deserve. The surgery is totally worth every penny you’re going to spend. It’s never too late to get back your great body or create the body you deserve.